Applying for the right visa option for your family member is important and can determine whether or not it is granted.

There are several options to bring your family to Australia. The various Australian family migration streams offer a range of visa opportunities; these include, provisional and permanent parent visas, child visa and remaining relative visas and even adoption visa.

Each visa subclass will have different types of benefits attached to it. Choosing the right option is important; some visas allow you to stay in Australia whilst awaiting the processing of your application, other visa types do not provide this benefit.

Child Visa

Dependent children are always welcome to join their parents in Australia. While it is an option for the children to migrate to Australia with the migrating parent, sometimes children migrate separately. There are visas for biological children, orphan relatives and adopted children of Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents and eligible New Zealand citizens. There are also visas available for children, under the age of 18, of persons who are in Australia on temporary student, worker or business visas.

Parent Visa

There are seven categories of parent visas:

  • Aged Parent (Residence) (Subclass 804)
  • Contributory Parent (Residence) (Subclass 864)
  • Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) (Subclass 884)
  • Parent (Migrant) (Subclass 103)
  • Contributory Parent (Migrant) (Subclass 143)
  • Contributory Parent (Temporary) (Subclass 173)
  • Sponsored Parent (Temporary) (Subclass 870)

To be eligible for an aged parent visa, you must be sponsored by your child or stepchild who is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. You must also meet one of the following requirements:

  • At least half of your children are Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens who are usually resident in Australia; or
  • You have more children living in Australia as Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens than in any other country.

The Sponsored Parent (Temporary) (Subclass 870) visa does not require the balance-of-family test.

Dependent Student Visa

If you are coming to Australia to study, you may bring your dependant family members with you. You can either include them on your original student visa application or you can apply for them to join you after you have started your course in Australia. Spouses, partners and unmarried children under the age of 18 are eligible for dependent visas.

What We Can Do For You

If you send us an email or give us a call we can provide advice and help you with your migration needs.

At Woodlands Lawyers, our team can make strong submissions to support your application. Sound knowledge of the Migration Act 1958 (Cth) and the Migration Regulation 1994 (Cth) is important for submitting valid and decision ready applications to the Department of Home Affairs.

​We provide our services at a competitive fee and can organise a meeting within a short time frame.


Send Me a Message

*free consultation for first 15 minutes